Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Whatever happened to the good ol' fashioned watering hole?

Here's another new one for the NYObserver about all the new childhood game/theme bars popping up in NY.  It does seem a bit like the Dave&Busterization of great NY bars scene although I must admit, I used to spend a bit of time at the Red Lion in W-burg soley for a decent jukebox and the sport of kings, Skeeball.  And . . . I may have spent roughly $60 in quarters over the years playing Asteroids and 1941 at Barcade.  And I do like shooting large digital bucks . . .  And I am glad about but have yet to visit the Ping Pong bar, Spin. . .  BUT - I concur, it's getting a little out of hand.  Thus the Chuckie Cheez ball pit in a bar:).  

Since I routinely encourage my student to use photo reference even if it's just for inspiration, and since this one has sort of a fun cast of famous inspiration models, here's the folks that inspired the characters from left to right: Peggy Lee (turned brunette), Jackie Gleason, Dean Martin, Tom Waits (the consummate barfly), and Sarah Vaughn.

No comments: